The Rahim Yar Khan Tehsil is bounded on the north by
Muzaffargarh district and Tehsil Khanpur, on the west by Rajanpur
district, on the south by Jaisalmir (India) and Tehsil Sadiqabad and
on the east by Bahawalpur district.
Rahim Yar Khan was created as a separate
administration district in 1943 (during the days of the British Raj.
The district derives its name from its headquarters - the city of
Rahim Yar Khan. The previous name of this district was Nowshera
which was built as a castle in 1750 by Fazal Elahi Halani on the
ruins of the ancient Pul-Wadda during Sumra rule in Sindh. In 1883,
Nawab Sadiq Khan-IV of Bahawalpur renamed it after his son Rahim Yar
Rahim Yar khan was declared as a separate administration district in
the year 1881, the Railway Authorities desired to change the name of
railway station in the name of a town called Nowshera situated in
Peshawar district. Consequently in 1881 to avoid any confusion
because of similar nomenclature, Nawab Sadiq Khan-IV of Bahawalpur
changed the name of the sub-division Nowshera after the name of his
first son crown prince Rahim Yar Khan.
The Rahim Yar Khan district is bounded on the north by Muzaffargarh
district, on the west by Rajanpur district, on the south by
Jaisalmir (India) and Ghotki District (Sindh) and on the east by